"I will oppose a Third Thames Bridge in Reading. Should Reading Council choose to ignore this opposition, and refuse to back away from a Third Thames Bridge, I will take personal action to block its building and to prevent companies from supporting and funding it. but only if 100 other local people will do the same."
— Rob White, Member of Reading Green Party
Deadline to sign up by: 5th December 2005
29 people signed up, 71 more were needed
Country: United Kingdom
Postcode area: RG1 (view map)
I am strongly opposed to Reading Council's plans to build a Third Thames Bridge because:
- As the Conservatives proved with their “predict and provide” road building strategy building more roads creates problems it doesn't resolve them.
- Additional traffic would have a massive impact on roads in South Oxfordshire, that are not capable of taking it.
- A third bridge near Reading potentially opens up a whole swathe of land around Caversham stretching eastwards towards Shiplake that the South East Regional Assembly (SEERA) could see as ripe for environmentally destructive development.
- A new bridge would have a detrimental impact on sensitive river environments.
- Money wasted on additional roads would be better spent on a sustainable transport system.
In the event that Reading Council chooses to ignore this opposition, and refuses to back away from a Third Thames Bridge, I will take personal action to block building of a Third Thames Bridge and to prevent companies from supporting and funding it.
Rob White, the Pledge Creator, joined by: