PledgeBank is now closed to new submissions. The site is available as an archive for you to browse, but you can no longer create or sign pledges. Find out more…

United States
I’ll do it, but only if you’ll help


You are reporting the following comment to the PledgeBank team:

Grant -

Only about 2% of benefit fraud is identity fraud, costing around £50m/year. The other 98% stems from fraudsters lying about their circumstances, not about who they are. This makes your argument even more relevant - the £6b cost of the ID card scheme would prevent at most £50m/year of benefit fraud.

For much more on this, and other reasons why ID cards make no sense, see this paper:

http://www.bowgroup.org/pub/IDCards.pdf

While this was written by a politician (and a Conservative one at that!), it's very-researched and surprisingly non-political. Do read it, even if you would never dream of voting Conservative. At least some of the money we pay politicians is being spent on something useful!
Andrew Watson, 12 years ago.

Report abusive, suspicious or wrong comment

Please let us know exactly what is wrong with the comment, and why you think it should be removed.


:



Navigation

Sign up for emails when people make pledges in your local area — Works in any country!
Email: Country:  Town: